CAREER OPPORTUNITIES @ STC
Since 1971, STC has been a vital cultural entity in the community, presenting audiences with the chance to experience award-winning productions that are emotionally powerful, socially conscious, consummately entertaining, and often uniquely reflective of our great northern lifestyle. STC is the only English-language professional theatre between Sudbury and Thunder Bay.
SUDBURY THEATRE CENTRE IS LOOKING FOR A GENERAL MANAGER
Full-time, eight-month contract beginning November 1, 2019.
Salary: $45,000 per annum, pro-rated.
Reporting to the Board of Governors and working in conjunction with the Artistic Director, the General Manager is responsible for the management of the business operations of Sudbury Theatre Centre, including those functions related to Finance and Accounting including a working knowledge of CADAC, Box Office, Bar and any other Revenue Generating Programs, Human Resources, Marketing and Communications and Facility Management.
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director and the Treasurer of the Board of Governors, prepares the annual operating budget for the theatre and the monthly cash flow projections;
- Monitors and controls revenue and expenses to ensure budgetary guidelines are maintained;
- Reviews and authorizes purchase of equipment;
- Identifies potential problems, concerns and shortfalls and recommends solutions to the Board of Governors;
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director, assists with government grant applications including budget, package and needs justification;
- Issues cheques;
- Reviews monthly financial statements;
- Completes interim government financial reports;
- Manages cashflow and identifies discrepancies;
- Handles all banking requirements;
- Manages payroll, T4s, T4As, Records of Employment, weekly pay cheques, remittances to Revenue Canada;
- Manages petty cash;
- Calculates royalty payments;
- Issues tax receipts;
- Works with Board of Governors to develop fundraising strategies and programs/events;
- Ensures that fundraising programs are coordinated within the theatre schedule and with marketing efforts;
- Maintains an open dialogue with the Board of Governors;
- Negotiates and enters into contracts on behalf of the theatre including actors, stage managers, designers, Canadian Actors Equity Association, Associated Designers of Canada, service agreements;
- Develops and administers effective office and general administrative procedures and ensures the required resources are available to address the process;
- Supervises the day to day activities of the office as well as the administrative and accounting procedures;
- Represents the interests of the theatre in the community;
- Represents the theatre with PACT, service organizations, local businesses and other groups;
- Ensure transportation and supplies are provided for out-of-town actors;
- Maintains and open dialogue, sharing information and updates with the Board of governors;
- Responsible for all rentals including third party bookings and agreements;
Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- University degree or College diploma in business administration or equivalent;
- Experience working in a professional theatre setting;
- Experience working with artists, production managers, agents and the general public;
- Experience creating and working within an approved budget;
- The ability to deliver high-quality work and achieve results in a timely manner;
- Excellent interpersonal, communications skills (written and verbal) and problem-solving skills;
- Possess superior administrative skills;
- Sound knowledge of occupational health and safety requirements as they apply to a performing arts environment;
- Requirement to work outside standard normal business hours.
The deadline to apply for this position is September 23, 2019. Applicants should submit a single file email (PDF or Word format) titled General Manager Application in the subject line to Della Krieger, President of the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org. This single document should include a cover letter, CV or resume and three professional references. Sudbury Theatre Centre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. All applications are considered confidential.
STC IS CURRENTLY SEEKING APPLICATIONS FROM SUDBURIANS WISHING TO BECOME MEMBERS OF ITS BOARD OF GOVERNORS
Appointments are for three-year terms with potential renewal for two additional years. The Board is responsible for the overall supervision of the STC. This role includes approving STC’s policies, budgets, projects, final recommendations and reports. STC will consider the following factors in selecting STC Governors:
- demonstrated interest in theatre, capacity to operate effectively as a member of a volunteer board, willingness to work and make adequate time for effective contributions;
- ability to influence financial support for the theatre;
- technical or professional skills, including those in theatre or the arts, and/or background and experience in the direction or management of similar institutions;
- preference that the Board be drawn principally from individuals residing and/or working in the geographical area served by STC;
- ensuring the Board reflects Ontario’s diversity, including indigenous and francophone representation;
- ensuring the Board includes a wide vocational range.
Please click the APPLY NOW button to submit a letter of intent and resume by email detailing why you believe you are an ideal candidate for this role and how you fulfil each of the requirements as detailed in the position description.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Monday 27 November 2017. STC is not responding to inquiries for this position and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. STC thanks all applicants in advance.